Guide for International Students

Guide for foreign students interested in studying Czech at Masaryk University

1. How to apply for the Intensive One-Year Course for Foreigners

  • Read the course description, admission requirements and the cancellation policy.
  • Fill in the application form.
  • After the payment, you will receive a receipt of admission and instructions about the course.
  • The course will be completed by passing the final examination and obtaining the certificate of completion.
  • By filling in the application form, the student confirms that he/she has read and agreed to all conditions of the application.

2. How to apply for studies at Masaryk University

  • After you choose a field of study (see below), you have to fill in the entrance application and pay the application fee.
  • The application period is 1 November – 28 February.
  • The entrance application has to be filled in and submitted electronically at this website.
  • The application fee is CZK 600 per application (CZK 400 for the Faculty of Social Studies) and is non-refundable.
  • For the entrance exams, you will have to pass the Learning Potential Test (TSP) or a field-specific test. More information about the admission process can be found at this link.

3. Accommodation in halls of residence / private accommodation

4. Applying for Visa

  • Students from EU Member States do not need a visa for studying in the Czech Republic.
  • If you come from a country outside of EU, you have to obtain a long-term visa or residence permit for the purpose of studies.
  • Visa procedures are dealt with by Embassies or Consulates General of the Czech Republic abroad. The application process can take up to 90 days.
  • The application form can be downloaded here.
  • More information, requirements and other details are listed on the official website of the Czech Ministry of the Interior.
  • The applicant will receive a study confirmation letter and a proof of accommodation (in the case of Masaryk University halls of residence) from us.

Detailed information on visa and entry formalities

Registration at the Foreign Police Department is compulsory for all foreign nationals staying in the Czech Republic for more than 30 days. They must register within 3 days after the date of arrival in the country. Read more about this obligation here.

5. List of Masaryk University programmes taught in Czech

Masaryk University offers study programmes at both the Bachelor’s and Master’s level. The complete list with programme descriptions can be found here.

6. Recognition of equivalence of foreign education certificates (primary, secondary and tertiary vocational education)

6.1  Recognition of higher education 

All information can be found here.

6.2  Recognition of secondary education

Where shall I find information on the recognition of equivalence of foreign education certificates?
Information about recognition is available on the official website of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports:  or the website of South Moravian Region:  

What is the recognition of equivalence of foreign education certificates?
A graduate from a foreign school who obtained a certificate of completing primary, secondary or tertiary vocational education abroad may apply at the Regional Authority (Krajský úřad in Czech) with the jurisdiction according to the applicant’s address of residence for a certificate of recognition of the equivalence of a foreign certificate in the Czech Republic or for a decision on recognition of a foreign certificate in the Czech Republic (hereinafter referred to as “recognition”). Recognition thus means the recognition in the Czech Republic of the validity of a certificate of education completed abroad at primary schools, secondary schools and tertiary vocational schools.

What are the requirements for and procedure of recognition?
You must submit an application for the recognition at the Department of Education (odbor školství in Czech) of the Regional Authority with the jurisdiction according to your address of residence in the Czech Republic, submit a legalized final certificate and document the scope and content of the completed studies.

How to start the recognition process at the relevant Regional Authority?
Visit the Department of Education of the Regional Authority in person, fill in and submit the required application with the required documents attached. The application shall be submitted in writing on the prescribed form.

What documents shall I take with me?
You must present: an identity document (plus proof of residence), the original and an officially certified copy of the final certificate (diploma), proof of the scope and content of the field in which you completed the education (i.e. the list of subjects taught and the number of lessons).

The documents must be legalized, i.e. the authenticity of signatures and stamps and the fact that the school is established and recognized in the country where the foreign certificate was issued must be verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country in which the foreign school is located as well as by the relevant embassy or another diplomatic mission of the Czech Republic (unless provided otherwise by an international treaty).

All submitted documents must be translated into Czech by a certified translator.

Recognition in Brno – contacts:

Department of Education, education division

Ing. Bc. Dagmar Kostrhůnová, MBA
Cejl 73, Brno
Door No. 206
Tel.: 541 653 527

What are the fees and how to pay them?
The administrative fee is CZK 1,000 and shall be paid in cash or by card at the Regional Authority.

What other actions shall be taken by the applicant?
The Department of Education of the Regional Authority shall recognize the certificate of a completed level of education obtained abroad only if the content and scope of the studies correspond to studies at a primary, secondary or tertiary vocational school with a similar framework educational programme in the Czech Republic. In case that the scope and content of education completed abroad partially differ, the Regional Authority shall order a recognition examination which verifies whether the applicant’s knowledge and skills correspond to the objectives and content of education under the relevant framework educational programme in the Czech Republic. The recognition examination may also include a practical part. Applicants who are not Czech citizens shall not take the recognition examination in Czech Language and Literature.

7. Insurance, medical care and other useful contacts

  • Students from EU

If you have a valid health insurance in your home country, you should apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC). This free card gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost as get people insured in that country. The cards are issued by your national health insurance provider. Please note that EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.

  • Students from countries outside the EU

Based on international agreements, medical travel insurance is not required from citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cuba, Japan, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Turkey, Serbia, and the United States of America..

All other foreign students who intend to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days are required to purchase comprehensive health insurance coverage. You will be asked to submit a proof of Czech health insurance when applying for the visa. The minimum coverage limit is EUR 60,000 and the insurance must be purchased for the entire period of stay.

The insurance must be contracted with a provider specifically certified to provide such insurance in the Czech territory. We recommend you contacting the local Czech diplomatic mission for more detailed information and checking whether your insurance meets all the requirements. There are several Czech insurance companies that provide the right type of insurance specifically designed for the needs of international students. You may apply online and receive your documents anywhere in the world. Usually, the companies also offer a discount to students aged 17 to 26. Here are some useful tips:


Students arriving from “third” countries – i.e. outside the EU – must fill in the electronic form and pass a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test for COVID-19 in the Czech Republic if they are arriving from “red” countries and must also fill in a special form (available for download at before arrival and submit it to the Czech embassy or consulate abroad, confirming their study stay in Brno.

International students must arrange health insurance before their arrival in the Czech Republic – which must also cover possible fees for COVID-19 treatment – for the entire period of their study stay, regardless of whether they are staying in the halls of residence or in private accommodations.

Foreigners living in the Czech Republic with valid health insurance are entitled to visit general practitioners, dentists and emergency departments for free.


  • Masaryk University provides its students the opportunity to visit the university GP, as well as other specialists. The contacts to English-speaking doctors can be found here.
  • Finding a job for foreign students in Brno: citizens of EU countries can work the maximum of 300 hours per year, citizens of non-EU countries need to acquire a work permit if they want to work more than 150 hours per year. More information about working in the Czech Republic as well as current job offers can be found on this website.
  • The complete guide for international students with further information and contacts is available on the CZS MU website.

8. FAQ

  • Will I get my money back if I do not qualify for the visa?

Yes, in case you are not able to obtain the visa for any reason, you will get a refund of the course fee minus the administrative costs of 10 % of the total paid amount. Please, check our Cancellation Policy for the complete information and requirements for refunds.

  • When do I have to transfer the payment?

The payment should be made within 14 days after submitting your order. However, you should take into consideration how long it will take to obtain the visa.

  • Can I pay the course fee in cash after I arrive in the Czech Republic?

No, the payment must be made only via bank transfer.

  • Will the course prepare me for the entrance exam and help with my specialisation in studies?

You will be provided basic terminology for the entrance exam for study at Masaryk University. If you wish to complete the specialized preparation for your future study, you can also apply for preparatory entrance exam courses offered by MU faculties:

For admission requirements at MU see:

10. Cancellation policy

11. STUDY IN iniciative

You will find detailed information about what to study in the Czech Republic, how to apply, recognition of previous education, how to live and work in the Czech Republic and a lot of interesting facts about the country here:

You are running an old browser version. We recommend updating your browser to its latest version.

More info